[ExI] Pistorius

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Wed Aug 1 18:39:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012, Dave Sill wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, but (1) shoes probably don't confer an advantage, (2) there are
> > rules
> > > governing shoes, and (3) shoes aren't a part of the human body. There
> > need
> > > to be rules governing prostheses ensuring they don't provide an
> > advantage.
> >
> > I think many running shoe manufacturers would disagree with you on (1)!
> >

> Duh. Nonetheless, barefoot runners have set world records, won world
> championships, and won Olympic gold medals.

Agreed, there was a time when all runners were barefoot (and even wholly
naked, like during ancient olympiads). There was a time when barefooters
ran on par with booters. But recently? I don't remember anything like
this, but I am not avid sport fan. Also, sprint has different demands to
long run / marathon, and AFAIK there was no barefoot sprinter for a long
time. But I may be very wrong on this, because I am not a fan.

[...]
> Yeah, maybe someday. But not today.
>
> We are entering a 'trans-sport' period, and will soon be in a 'post-sport'
> > one.
> >

> I doubt it, but, if so, that's a shame.
>
> -Dave

I see main merit of sport as it was some time ago in need for long term
devotion, a dedicated effort engaging both body and mind. I'm afraid we
are more and more into "take a pill" land and this is a shame indeed. Not
that shame could stop anybody who values money and social position, and it
is more like shame is a sign of retardation because it does not help in
making so called success - which is again a shame.

Long ago, there were libraries under the same roof with gymnasions, so
that ancient sportsman could exercise both a body and spirit. But as time
progresses, trivialisation increases. To achieve a success, spirit is no
longer a required ingredient. I don't like it, but obviously majority does
not need to be such sophisticated/cultured (and probably never wanted it
anyway).

We can agree on many things, I think, but I'm afraid there is this
transition taking place, slowly but inevitably (money talks). But I guess
we will not see its advanced phase during our lifetime, or if we do,
nobody would care about our incoherent mumbling.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola