[ExI] Written for another list

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Aug 4 09:10:23 UTC 2012

On Sat, Aug 04, 2012 at 02:04:15AM -0400, John Clark wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>
> > The last LFTR was not a breeder. It did not ran on the thorium fuel cycle.
> >

> LFTR stands for Liquid Florine THORIUM Reactor, and you say it does not

Exactly.

> have Thorium. That does not compute. A LFTR has to be a breeder because

No, I said it was not a breeder. That's because it wasn't. It had
no thorium salt blanket. It ran first on U-235 and then U-233 which
was bred in other reactors. Which did not ran on the thorium cycle.

The LFTR was not a thorium cycle reactor breeder.

The LFTR was not a thorium cycle reactor breeder.

The LFTR was not a thorium cycle reactor breeder.

> Thorium is not fissile but U233 is and you can breed that from Thorium.
>
>   > It did not do online fuel reprocessing.
>

> Don't be ridiculous, if you don't do constant online reprocessing a LFTR
> will not operate and the MSRE at Oak Ridge operated for years.

It ran for 1.5 effective years total at 7.4 MWh. It did not ran as
a breeder, so sustained operability of LFTR either as fast or slow
breeders is completely untested. Rebuilding a pilot would take at
least a decade, and production, *if* the pilot was deemed viable
would be at least another decade away. Meanwhile we need a substitution
rate of effective TW/year for the next 40 years. The potential
viability window for LFTR breeders as large scale source of energy
closed in late 20th century.

Stick a fork in it. It's done.

> > It also ran too hot.
>

> Too hot, where did you hear that? LFTR's are  supposed to run hotter than
> conventional reactors, they can do so because the liquid used doesn't boil
> till 680F at atmospheric pressure and you get better thermal efficiency as
> a result.

We're not making progress. Again, I don't have time for this, and
you already show that you have a very selective perception of reality.

This is typical for thorium polyannas, and this is why I no longer
debate thorium polyannas. Or creationists.