[ExI] We need fresh ideas!

david pizer pizerdavid at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 19:09:47 UTC 2012

Patrick McLaren has two thoughtful responses to my earlier post asking to discuss how those of us who want to avoid being dead forever and are in the cryoprervation movement or related immortality movements might do things to improve our odds.

Patrick said:  "Surely the most pragmatic approach towards reversible methods would be
to get a Biology degree(s) and dedicate your life to conducting the relevant research."

Pizer's response:  There are a few people who have done as you suggest above.  They are presently conducting relevant research.  The problems they are having is that it takes massive amounts of money, and other forms of "research muscle," to do the relevant research to invent the technology to reverse aging and/or invent reversible suspended animation.  At the present rate of progress it might take centuries before we have either one.  If we could motivate large amounts of people to want cryopreservation for themselves then we could have many more researchers and much more money, political influence and public support for our goals.

Patrick said:  "I would think that (and hope that) the primary concern of Cryonic
organizations is sustainability, rather than the costly pursuit of  developing new technologies."

Pizer's response: For many decades I have been trying to get the people in the cryopreservation movement to understand that in business it is the quality and quantity of your customers/members that provide the best chance of sustainability.  More members means more people who want the cryonics organization to endure and succeed.    The odds are that all of us that are reading this message right now are going to have to spend some time in the tanks.   A cryopreserved patient is pretty helpless while hanging upside down stiff as a board.   Their best chances is in the amount of people who want to see them reanimated some day in the future, who are outside the tank doing things to promote the success of that company.