[ExI] self driving cars again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Aug 12 19:16:37 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Charlie Stross
Subject: Re: [ExI] self driving cars again

>...Actually, if we're talking self-driving and electric, then for long-haul
trips the best solution seems to me to be able to hire a self-driving
electric car with a tow bar and trailer hitch ... and to rent a trailer with
a bunch of extra batteries or a compact fuel-burning generator pack. Let the
car software handle reversing and steering with a trailer (software to do
that is a logical requirement for self-driving cargo trucks), and don't
bother carrying with the parasitic weight of a hybrid power train unless
you're actually going further than the built-in batteries will allow.  --
Charlie

Ja and another thought: if we have passenger pods with separate self-driven
tractors, we put the cushy suspension similar to what we use on our cars on
the passenger pod only.  The tractor can have harder tires and stiffer
suspension since there is no one aboard, and the drive equipment can handle
the rough ride.  Then you can have a small Diesel connected to a generator
to provide a series hybrid ride.  A few batteries to give a little extra
acceleration off the line, and we are good to go, even if not particularly
fast.

A Diesel running a constant RPM and constant load is very efficient.