[ExI] More ranting on power sats

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 17:06:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM, John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the voice synthesizer on my Mac "kettle of fish" and "kettle of ghoti"
> sound exactly the same. George Bernard Shaw hated English spelling and said
> that if you used the same rules of pronunciation and spelling that are used
> in the words tough, women, and nation then the word "Fish" should be spelled
> as "Ghoti". I guess the good people at Apple remembered Shaw.

In so far as "ghoti" exists, that is in fact the proper pronunciation.
Of course, the argument for it is full of holes (for instance, "gh"
only sounds like "f" if used at the end of a word - and indeed,
one could argue that ghoti should be an entirely silent word using
a spin on the same argument:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti#Silent_ghoti ).