[ExI] RES: self driving cars again

Henrique Moraes Machado cetico.iconoclasta at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 12:49:53 UTC 2012

<spike>
Young people, I am not kidding: back in the olden days, gas stations hired
guys to do that, for every customer.  It was so creepy!  I don’t like having
people do for me that which I can do myself.  By my great aunt really loves
it and misses that.  She has plenty of money and no children.  She is an
ideal candidate for that technology and that service.  She has pleeeenty of
friends just like her.  We could set up full service gas stations and
program the auto-campers to drive to those stations, or perhaps have a local
slacker who is paged by an incoming geezer, who then comes over and performs
the services for a tip.
</spike>

Would you think it's weird that, where I live, they tried to introduce
self-service gas stations and the workers syndicate lobbied and successfully
passed a bill that outlawed it? I do. So gas stations are required by law to
hire guys to do that, for every customer and customers are not permitted to
pump their own gas.