[ExI] Further ranting on power sat

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 17:35:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>wrote:

> Straightforward analysis states that the cost to lift parts to GEO has to
> get down to $100/kg for power to be delivered at 2 cent a kWh.

Straightforward? Forget launch costs, I would be very interested in seeing
somebody build on the ground a photovoltaic or heat engine solar plant that
converts sunlight to electricity, converts the electricity to microwaves,
transmits the microwaves for one mile (not 23,000), then reconverts the
microwaves back to electricity that can be sold profitably at 2 cent a kWh.
I'm far from sure that power satellites would work economically even if you
could get them into geosynchronous orbit free with the snap of your fingers.

  John K Clark