[ExI] dolchstosslegende, was: RE: cost of SBSP and thorium

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Aug 21 01:27:37 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Dave Sill
Subject: Re: [ExI] dolchstosslegende, was: RE: cost of SBSP and thorium

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Charlie Stross <charlie.stross at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>.That's a naive, unidimensional analysis ("small government" = "right",
"big government" = "left").

>.That's not what Spike said, which is:

>>>."...the American right wing (conservatives) are very generally aligning
with the libertarians such as the Tea Party, generally favoring smaller
government, with the emphasis on cutting government spending.  The left wing
or (liberals) are proposing more government involvement in the citizens'
lives, or generally favoring more and bigger government, with continued
spending at current levels supported

by higher taxes."

>.And that's simply an observation, not an analysis.  -Dave

Ja, and a generality for sure.  The right has tepidly embraced the Tea
Party, whereas the left has eschewed and insulted us.  The Tea Party sees
both the mainstream parties as far too spendy statist big-government-ish,
and doesn't want to be embraced by either, but the right seems at least a
little closer to our position, a very little.  The two major parties
differentiate themselves on issues that now seem to be completely
irrelevant.  On the issues that really matter, the two major parties became
nearly indistinguishable.

This is interesting in many ways.  For about the past 30 years, we have seen
what looks to me like a convergence of the two American mainstream parties
since the mid-90s.  This year, for the first time since I have been a voter
(a tragically long time, alas) I can really tell the difference.  One party
wants to just drive off the debt cliff with little significant change.  The
other wants to drive off the debt cliff with the accelerator pedal to the
floor.