[ExI] keynes vs hayek again, was: RE: 3d printers for sale

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Aug 27 20:36:20 UTC 2012

On 27/08/2012 17:11, Charlie Stross wrote:

> Back off even further: how does one define "contribute to the community they live in"? (Is a rentier with a private income who devotes their idle life to painting or writing fiction -- and is therefore able to produce works of art that entertain people but don't necessarily generate enough income to live on -- a parasite? What about a rentier with a private income who generates employment in the cocaine trade?) Or how about the traditional "vicar's wife" or "first lady"? Someone who probably isn't working for a living but who is making themselves useful indirectly?

I am often thinking about this, since I live an ultra-privileged life as
an Oxford scholar. Sure, I do grant hunting and need to publish or
perish, but let's face it: it is a creative job with no heavy lifting,
light demands and very flexible hours in a lovely place. Am I really
contributing anything? Sure, I research how to deal with existential
risk and how to improve ethics and rationality, things I consider to be
important... but I do know there are people who think what I am doing is
complete ivory tower stuff divorced from reality. What if they are right?

I think a partial answer could be made along the lines of Robert R.
Wilson's famous defense of Fermilab ("It has nothing to do directly with
defending our country except to make it worth defending.") There are
activities that do not serve any instrumental purposes yet are
worthwhile. Even if all that I do is philosophy, that might be good
enough (I wouldn't be happy with that state, though).

This is also true for the painter, fiction writer or perhaps also the
vicar's wife. Human relationships are not primarily useful - we tend to
look down on people who just see contacts as merely tools - but have
some kind of value or importance in themselves. A community without
relationships would not really be a community.

> Or even further: *why* do we consider it useful or morally good for everyone to make a tangible contribution?

I think one could make an Aristotelian case that it is part of an
excellent human life. We are social beings, and true happiness is doing
something we experience meaningful. To not use ones skills to the
fullest, or on projects that are not meaningful, means that one is
missing out. Sure, there are projects that just benefit me, and I think
they can be both moral and valuable. But just doing such projects leaves
out large areas of endeavor - doing something that is meaningful because
it contributes to the community is clearly a way towards excellence and
happiness.

Ideally of course we should set things up so this doesn't have to be
forced by want or coercion, but just from a desire to be really great
people. But I suspect that requires us to get rather far into a post
scarcity society. For the time being we should figure out how to handle
the paradoxical tensions of a *less* scarcity-dominated society.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute