[ExI] Severe Diet Doesn’t Prolong Life, at Least in Monkeys

Max More max at maxmore.com
Thu Aug 30 17:47:14 UTC 2012

Right after I replied on this topic, I noticed that I had some new results
from 23andMe. Coincidentally, one of these is for hereditary fructose
intolerance. As always, any general approach to diet should be considering
in light of your personal genetics. The new entry says:

Hereditary fructose intolerance (HFI) is a genetic condition in which
affected individuals are not able to break down fructose. Fructose is a
sugar found in fruit, but it is also in many of the sugars we use to
sweeten our foods, such as white cane sugar and high-fructose corn syrup.
HFI is caused by mutations in the aldolase B (ALDOB)
gene<https://www.23andme.com/you/journal/fructose_intolerance/overview/#Gene>and
is inherited in an autosomal recessive manner, which means that a person
must inherit a mutated copy of the gene from each parent to develop the
disease. Approximately one in 20,000 individuals of European ancestry has
HFI, and about 1% of people with European ancestry is a carrier for the
condition. Although HFI can be fatal if untreated, with early detection and
a fructose-free diet individuals with HFI may lead a normal and healthy
life.

My result:
Does not have any of the ALDOB mutations reported by 23andMe. May still
have other mutations in ALDOB.

--Max

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Stefano Vaj  wrote:
> >
> http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/science/low-calorie-diet-doesnt-prolong-life-study-of-monkeys-finds.html?src=un&feedurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjson8.nytimes.com%2Fpages%2Fscience%2Findex.jsonp
> >
> > Lifespans are not so malleable. But I suspect that a "paleo" lifestyle
> (ie,
> > removing as much as possible vegetables, such as cereals, potatoes,
> > high-glycemic fruits and legumes, etc., from your diet) works much more
> than
> > caloric restriction. Let alone in terms of quality, besides duration, of
> > life.
> >

> I thought a paleo diet (at least some versions of it) included quite a
> lot of fruit and veg and nuts. It is cereal foods mainly that they
> avoid.
>

> BillK

Max More, PhD
Strategic Philosopher
Co-editor, *The Transhumanist Reader*
President & CEO, Alcor Life Extension Foundation
7895 E. Acoma Dr # 110
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
480/905-1906 ext 113