[ExI] standard form for creating a test, was: RE: humanities plus schmooze

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 19:33:35 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/8/12, spike wrote:
> <snip>
>> ****Question code hipsters:  is there a standard product or a software
>> framework that allows me to insert or paste in my test questions, ordered
>> from easiest to hardest, where the code notes the response and does the
>> ranking and deciding which question to ask next?****

Keyword is "branch", as in "branch quiz" or "branch test".
At least one such product exists:
http://www.wondershare.com/pro/quizcreator.html

> I don't think educators would rely on one question to control the test
> branching.
> The subject might just have a lucky guess or a lucky snippet of knowledge.
> I think they prefer to test for levels of knowledge over several questions.
>
> i.e. Do all the Level 1 test questions and score it.
> 80% (say) and over goes on to the level 2 questions.
> and so on.
>
> You decide what % of correct results says their level of capability
> has been reached, then stop testing.

Indeed.  IIRC, this is how the electronic versions of
certain standardized tests (I forget which one - I want
to say the SAT, but I'm not sure that was the one) do
it.