[ExI] sequestration, was: RE: standard form for creating a test, was: RE: humanities plus schmooze

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 21:30:54 UTC 2012

I could go on for pages re the defects in the current education system and
the coming revolution.  In my first year at Case, there was an orientation
where several students complained about the liberal arts requirement.  They
said they didn't want it and didn't need it.  They said they came to Case
to learn engineering, not English Lit.  There was no mistaking their point,
but back then, I always went along with what the grown-ups said was best,
so I supported the liberal arts requirements.

Looking back, and looking forward, I see that a engineering job-seeker,
career-seeker, profession-seeker, wants job/career/profession.  His
engineering employer wants someone who can do what the employer needs done
right now -- and very narrowly -- not someone with a classical education
who can write a term-paper about Emily Dickenson's role in American
poetry.

If a person is smart -- most people are if they haven't been in school too
long -- and if his prospective employer is smart, assigning the person to
an apprenticeship, OJT sort of arrangement should -- my view, and I'm
willing to defend it -- be the most efficient way for both to achieve their
aims.  The apprentice studies from the top down, from free on- and off-line
materials, and hands on, at the side of fully-trained senior personnel and
with a very narrow focus, precisely those very specific skills his employer
needs from him.  Then on his own initiative, and in a very conducive
environment, he  naturally grows his capabilities in accord with his
smarts, ambition, and the needs of the workplace.   And if he enjoys
learning for its own sake, he'll no doubt get that classical education, and
in a form which reflects his/her own personal passions, not some
cookie-cutter liberal arts requirement.

The internet was made for the learning primate with the outsized neural
bulb.  I can't wait for the old system to wither and die.

Best, Jeff Davis

            I never let schooling stand in the way of my education."
                                                  Mark Twain