[ExI] FW: taking remote causation too far

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 14 10:23:20 UTC 2012

On 14/12/2012 03:55, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> ... as was my reference to Dr.X instead of Professor X. I didn't mean
> to offend credentialed persons or fans of graphic novels or the
> intersection of these first two sets.

Hmm, where exactly is Professor X professor? I remember the cheers in
the local theatre when the shots of Oxford appeared in "First Class".
Afterwards we were all happily nitpicking details (Xavier would have
been unlikely to have performed a thesis defense at the Sheldonian, they
put a fictional pub under the Bridge of Sighs rather than the alley
leading to the Turf Tavern...) But as far as I can remember he did not
get a professorship, just a degree (his gown would have been different
if he did; he seemed to have a normal commoner's gown).

The mutant academy would not count, unless it is an accredited
university - which I doubt. Given his smarts he might of course be
part-time professor at a lot of places.

Professor of course can just be a honorific: I often get called
professor when going to southern Europe.

Nitpicking from a (minorly) credentialled (minor) reader of the graphic
novels. Who still haven't gotten around to get his own scholar's gown,
despite a few years in town.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute