[ExI] what if

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 16:50:23 UTC 2012

On 15 December 2012 01:33, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> The problem with the Roman empire was that they were very practical, but
> they did not do much systematic theorizing. The Greeks and Hellenes were
> much better at that. So if the Romans were to go Christian at an early
> stage (I assume Jesus would replace Tiberius and pre-empt Caligula and the
> rest of the sorry end of the Julian dynasty) the Greek inheritance would be
> even more weakened. That suggests even less tech development, but plenty of
> very good craftsmanship.

Yes, this sounds very plausible.

An hypothesis however I personally find fascinating is that at the end of
the day we ultimately do owe modern technoscience, and btw tonal(polyphonic
music, both being once-in-history phenomena, to judaeo-christianism, but in
the sense that they would be a by-product of the violent repression by the
latter of the European "spirit" for almost a millenium.

On the tune of "what does not kill us, makes us stronger", in other words.

--
Stefano Vaj