[ExI] mayan forecast

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 17:26:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 9:10 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> I am trying to interpret the collapse of the Mayan civilization in terms of
> the 10th century version of an energy trap, similar to the one modern
> civilization appears to be in.  The Easter Island collapse can be
> interpreted in terms of an energy trap.  Are there other examples of
> energy-trap collapse I should study?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohenjo-daro

Mohenjo-daro is an interesting possibility. According to my college history
professor, they collapsed because the distance they needed to travel to
collect wood to fire brick that they built their civilization out of,
became uneconomic. The Wikipedia page says they failed due to flooding of
the Indus river, so they may have learned something since I was in
college... but I think there may be elements of both effects in play, even
though Wikipedia doesn't seem to know about this alternate theory. My
professor's theory was based on the fact that very few artifacts have been
recovered, leading one to believe that the people left with all their stuff
for greener (less over-civilized) pastures. That doesn't seem like
something that would have occurred as the result of a flood.

He also noted that there was so much brick at the site that it was used to
build the railroads in the area, but this seems to be more of a problem at
Harappa than Mohenjo-daro... so maybe he was wrong about the other thing
too.

-Kelly