[ExI] uploads again

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Tue Dec 25 00:09:08 UTC 2012

Hi Anders,

Thanks for the feedback.

"I think the take home message is, after looking at prediction track
records and cognitive bias, that experts and consensuses in this domain
are pretty useless."

It sounds like you are expecting expert consensus (at least anything
that can be determined via a top down survey or any kind traditional
prediction system) to be a reliable measure of truth. And of course, I
would completely agree that in this and many other domains, simple
popular vote, via a top down survey, is useless, and build no consensus
but destroys it.

To me, that's not what an open, bottom up, consensus building survey
system like canonizer.com is about.  This kind of system is all about
communication, and knowing, concisely and quantitatively, what the
competing camps are, and what it would take to convert others from their
current consensus camps.  This Friendly AI domain is much like
consciousness in that we just exponentially blew past the there are now
more than 20,000 peer reviewed publications in this domain.  And most of
that is childish and infinite yes / no / yes / no arguments, most of
which there is no one else that agrees with any one of them.  So
attempting to jump into any such morass at any point is a complete waste
of time, and even if we have made any consensus progress during the last
50 years, nobody has been able to rigorously measure for such, whether
such consensus is valuable or not.

I've spent many hours jumping into this friendly AI pool, listening to
gazillions of arguments on both sides.  Obviosly there are way better
and more experienced experts than I, but we can't expect everyone to
spend as much time as I've spent, in every single critically important
domain like this.  You've mentioned a few new arguments that I haven't
yet heard of, like "Eliezer-Omohundro thesis that most of mindspace is
unsafe" which I should probably check out.  But given how much I already
know of the kind of arguments Eliezer has used in the past, and so on,
it's hard for me to know if such arguments are any better than the many
many arguments I already feel like I've completely wasted my time with.

If any such is really a good (able to convince others) argument, someone
should be able to concicely describe such, and we should be able to
rigorously measure how many people agree that it is a good argument,
relative to other arguments and other points of view.  And we should be
able to track this in real time.  I.E.  Is this a new and exploding
argument, compared to others, or have most other experts abandoned this
thesis, and is Eliezer and Omohundro, about the only ones left still
believing in it?

I in no way want to prematurely "dismissing the possibility that the
other camp is on to something".  But I don't have time to follow every
mistaken idea/arguement that at best only one, or a few people still
agree with.

You pointed out that that I should: "find a really good set of arguments
that shows that some human-level or beyond AI systems actually are
safe".  And in my opinion, for me, the argument that I'm presenting,
that any sufficiently intelligent (arround human level) will realize
that the best, most moral thing do to, is to coperatively work with
everyone to get everythinging for all, or at least as much of it as
possible.  And, at least at Canonizer.com, there are more people that
also think the same way than any other camp, as is concisely,
quantitatively represented in a way that nobody can deny.

If Eliezer, or anyone else, thinks we in our camp are wrong, they need
to know, concisely and quantitatively, why we think we have met your
challenge, and what we would accept as falsifying our current working
hypothesis.  If there is a larger, more important camp out there, they
should focus on that camp, first.

If Eliezer and Omohundro, are the only ones that think their "most
mindspaces are unsafe" hypothesis is valid, it's probably not worth
anybodies time, like all the other thousands of similar ideas out there
that only a few lonely people think are any better?  On the other hand,
if there are a huge group of people, especially if any of them were
experts that I'd trust, and most importantly, if this consensus is
growing rapidly, then I should probably continue to ignore all the other
lonely / fading arguments, and instead spend time on trying to
understand and not dismiss that one.

This kind of open survey system isn't about determining truth. It's all
about comunicating in concice and quantitative ways, so the best
theories and arguments can quickly rise and be recognized above all the
mistaken and repetative childish bleating noise. It's about having a
bottom up system with a focus on building consensus, and finding out
exactly what others are having problems with, not simply destroying
consensus, like all primitive top down survey systems do.  It's about
communicating in a concise and quantitative way that amplifies
everyone's moral wisdom and education on any such existentially
important moral issues, in a way that you can measure it's progress, or
lack thereof.  It's about having a real time concise and representation
of all that belief, with definitive measurements of which are the best
and improving, that anyone can quickly and easily digest the best ones,
without having everyone be required to read 20,000 peer reviewed
publications.

Brent Allsop