[ExI] AI motivations

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Dec 25 10:30:16 UTC 2012

On 2012-12-25 03:59, Keith Henson wrote:
> However being motivated to seek the
> good opinion of humans and it's own kind seems like a fairly safe
> fundamental and flexible motive for AIs.
>
> Though I could be persuaded otherwise if people have good arguments as
> to why it is not a good idea.

AI: "I have 100% good opinions about myself. Other agents have varying
opinions about me. So if I just replace all other agents with copies of
me, I will maximize my reputation."

The problem is grounding the opinions in something real. Human opinions
are partially set by evolved (and messy) social emotions: if you could
transfer those to an AI you would have solved the friendliness problem
quite literally.

Also, as my example shows, almost any top level goal for a utility
maximizer can lead to misbehavior. We have messy multiple goals, and
that one thing that keeps us from become obsessive sociopaths.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute