[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 1 16:57:48 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

I think the answer is implicit in your question. The fact you are "removing" it instead of adding it, tells you the operation is a loss of functionality. So whatever your emotional state is after the operation, it is guaranteed to be less complex with less information than before.

> I have found myself often wondering what is the cost to humanity of
> losing out on human suffering. The mainstream Christian view of heaven
> seems horribly boring to me, because without suffering, how can there
> be meaning? Where would literature, art, music and poetry be without
> the depressing side of those arts? I imagine that the music in heaven
> is horribly boring. No Nine Inch Nails or Tori Amos there baby... and
> what a loss.

I think it might go beyond mere considerations of "humanity" and the loss thereof. Every sentience suffers. As biologist, I recognize it in the face of everything with a face. Even the greatest intellect primitive minds could imagine i.e. *God* suffers. Numerous times in the Bible he is described as heartbroken, sad, jealous, angry, vengeful, or otherwise emotionally upset. Thus I think even M Branes would feel the pangs of unrequited love or they would no longer qualify as minds. This is because intelligence is inherently goal-seeking. Whether your goals are simple "find water" or complex "get elected to parliament", the disparity between ones perceived environment and ones desired environment produces emotional states as readouts that have function of motivating one to either goal-tend or goal-seek.

Just imagine if you would, that Satan grants you one wish. Not wishing to do the Devil's work for him and in a well-intentioned attempt to trick the Devil into doing good, you say, "End world hunger." Satan waves his magic wand and dissappears. Two weeks later people all over the world start contentedly dying from starvation, not having eaten once since you made your wish.

> So what is lost if we reach a state of paradise on earth? Everything.

Not if you reached a human paradise. Forget dreams of platonic perfection. That with the capacity to evolve is far preferable to perfection for that which is perfect is, by definition, finished. Find a way to live so that both you and your neighbor can both be happy.

> Now, that doesn't mean things can't get better. When I think of the
> sorts of negative life experiences my great ... great grandparents
> suffered through, I can't compare that to "I lost all the songs on my
> MP3 player"... but the emotion is the same. So in the future, humans
> may complain about things that seem pretty inconsequential to us now
> (the peppermint scent emitting E Coli in my gut died, and now I have
> smelly farts) but the emotions will be the same for them. But get rid
> of the negative emotions altogether, and you really do have something
> that in a real way is inhuman.

Not just inhuman, but mindless as well. And you don't need to directly edit your emotions for this. You simply have to give in to apathy. I remember once back when I was living in Los Angeles, one my car's starter died in a convenience store parking lot. I called my auto-club to get it towed to my mechanic. The clerk of the convenience store called a different tow company to come and impound the car for being parked in his lot long after the posted 10 minutes.

So it became a race between my tow truck and the clerk's tow truck. Needless to say, his tow truck arrived first. I tried to dissuade the tow truck driver from towing my vehicle by  explaining my situation to him, that my tow truck was on its way. I even offered to pay *him* to take me to my mechanic and he refused all of this. Like a mindless robot doing his job.

Then my only recourse  was inspired by Arthur Dent. I simply sat down in front of my car so that he would have back his truck over my body to tow my car. Apparently, the realization he would have to commit murder in order to "do his job" finally snapped him out his robot-trance. After this, he started to talk to me, tried to help me get my car started, and generally kept me company until the auto-club arrived to take my car to the garage.

> The most dangerous emotion to get rid of might be disgust. It is one
> of the most universal of emotions, and it is present in infants. It's
> hard wired. Without disgust, you would be like a leper, unable to keep
> any sort of basis for ethical thought. We are disgusted when someone
> steals from us, murders, rapes, etc. Without disgust, there would be
> no impetus to justice, and I fear then that we would lose a hell of a
> lot more than just the good art.

It would be ill-advised to lose any emotion as you would lose complexity and intelligence as well. Instead, you should seek to develop new emotions, ones that don't yet have names.

Stuart LaForge

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson