[ExI] The Political Origins of Life

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:00:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM, The Avantguardian wrote:
<snip>
> Well then maybe you should shut the door and lock it. Jesus himself said his second coming
> would be as "a thief in the night". So if he is real, he will find a way in.

Tut! You're doing exactly what the creationists do. Quoting out of
context and misinterpreting!

'thief in the night' is used several times in the New Testament. It
means 'sudden and unexpected'. Nothing to do with sneaking about like
a thief. It was commonly used to encourage the faithful in the Early
Church. "No one knows the day or hour when these things will happen"
etc. so you better be on your best behavior.

And, by the way, Jesus and Paul were mistaken. They expected the
Second Coming within a generation. And it didn't happen. The Church
arrived instead.

Jesus reportedly said,
Matthew 24:34: "..This generation shall not pass, till all these
things be fulfilled."
Luke 9:26-27: " But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing
here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of
God."

But, of course, Jesus may not actually have said that. These gospel
sayings were written down much later by early church followers of Paul
and they wrote down what suited their beliefs (and left out lots of
inconvenient stuff).

BillK