[ExI] bees again

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Feb 8 01:00:02 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] bees again

spike wrote:

>> The story mentions the A. borealis was found in bees in every county in
the SF bay area except Santa Clara and San Mateo counties...

>...That's very interesting. I hope Isaac can appreciate the post-mortem
examinations...

Part of having it made is knowing when you have it made.  My son has no idea
how lucky he is, not the vaguest clue.

>...  :)  It would have been nice if a grownup had taken time to do things
like that with me...

As with most of us.  We achieved a fraction of our potential, because so
much of our time growing up was spent being babysat by the television.  The
content had approximately zero socially redeeming qualities back in those
days.

>...We have had unseasonably warm weather here, and some spring flowers are
blooming...

This is the warmest winter here I remember in 23 years.  The global warming
people may come through for us after all.  If so, I take back every snarky
comment.  This has been a gorgeous winter.  I hear it has been cold in
Europe.

>... So far this season I've seen *one* honeybee and several tiny native
bees...

Those tiny native bees are probably Nomia melanderi, if you are west of the
Rockies in the US.

 <http://www.ebeehoney.com/Pollination.html> Description:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyW67xBBOFJjMNAgeSQhaH_iTKooZXlwqXD
V9gpiaV6TUphrNbDbxml1w

This one is a digger, smaller than the familiar honeybee.

http://www.ebeehoney.com/Pollination.html

>.The honeybee seemed confused by the flowers and did not appear to actually
go into a bloom while I was watching, but circled and hovered and circled
some more. :( The natives unhesitatngly went in there to do their thing. :)
Regards,  MB

Cool observation MB!  I will mention it in my bee forum and reference you if
you don't object.