[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 10 17:43:48 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
Subject: Re: [ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 08:25:25AM -0800, spike wrote:

>> Anyone found any info on how to synthesize bexarotene?  The dopers
somehow

>...Looks easy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bexarotene

>...It should probably be commercially available...

It is!

http://targretin.com/

>...https://www.google.com/search?q=bexarotene+buy however somewhat
expensive...

Expensive?  Compared to what?  For those families facing the prospect, the
heartbreaking emotional drain and staggering expense of putting a family
member in Alzheimers care, we will grasp wildly at any straw, a bit like
what I am doing right now.  Eugen, in the US, the cost of Alzheimers care is
often largely carried by the family and it is typically 5000 Euro/month, and
sometimes more.  This can go on for years.

This round of bexarotene is on me.

The warnings are mostly to do with pregnancy, which I can assure you is not
a factor in this particular family member's life.  OK, so I have sent this
around to the fam, and we are getting the goddam hell on this right away.
The clock is ticking loudly.