[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 10 20:23:25 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Spike, looking at the chemical structure, it looks it would be time-consuming to manufacture by a DIY. The online prices you are finding are for the pharmaceutical grade stuff precisely dosed for cancer treatment. Rather than have a chemist start from scratch to synthesize bexarotene, I recommend you inquire as to the price of the industrial grade stuff which usually much cheaper and available by the kilogram from chemical companies all over the world. I found two in China that have it in their catalog but you have to inquire as to the price. I think the suppliers are all in China because of patent issues. In any case, I can't imagine how a state-side DIY chemist could do any cheaper or better.

Once you have the bulk product, then hire a drug chemist to QC the product from China and purify it to pharmaceutical grade. I think this would be your cheapest route, Spike.

Here is the information you will need for that:

IUPAC Name: 4-[1-(3,5,5,8,8-pentamethyl-5,6,7,8-tetrahydronaphthalen-2-yl)ethenyl]benzoic acid

CAS Number: 153559-49-0

Suppliers:

Atomax Chem
Address:Huiji 302 Huitingju Bao'An Avenue, ShenZhen, China 518104
Tel:0086 755 33239182
       sales department: 601
       Purchasing department: 602
       Accountant department: 608