[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 10 23:38:49 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of BillK
Subject: Re: [ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM, spike wrote:
>> Expensive?  Compared to what?  ...
>> This round of bexarotene is on me.

HuffPo article has a bit more info.
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/09/bexarotene-alzheimers-mice-skin-ca
ncer-drug_n_1266430.html>

>...Despite their optimism, scientists say it's important not to overplay
the progress. After all, drugs that work in mice do not necessarily help
humans...

We know.  Read on please.

>... Aisen says, "so caution is essential until human studies confirm target
engagement," that is, the removal of amyloid plaques.

Caution is essential.  Noted.

>...As ReXceptor moves forward with its clinical trial plans, it will
inevitably have to contend with the demands of the families of Alzheimer's
patients...

Imagine that.

>... Landreth emphasizes that calling your physician after reading an
article like this one is a bad idea. "Don't try this at home," he
cautions...

Please let us contact Dr. Landreth and explain that the phrase "Don't try
this at home" is actually code for "Try this at home."  It's another one of
those like when a cop is standing there saying "Move along folks, there is
nothing to see here."

>... "because we don't know we what dose to give, we don't know how
frequently to give it, and there are a few nuances to its administration..."

Noted.  You have a standing army of patients who will pay for the medication
themselves and experiment in a thousand different ways because *they have
not one goddam thing to lose* NOTHING!  And everything to gain.  So hand
over the medication and stand out of the way, because this army is coming,
for we do know this: the current medications are ineffective, and may be
making the problem worse.

>... So one shouldn't be prescribing it off-label." BillK

Prescribing my ass!  We aren't asking doctors or anyone else to take
responsibility for this outcome.  What I expect of researchers is honesty
and openness.  If they find something that looks positive, ANYthing
positive, I want them to report exactly what they saw and don't bother
talking about three to five year clinical trials because too many families
don't have three to five years.  We are in a position to cast caution to the
wind and become lab rats, for the alternative is bankruptcy of the family
and gradual death in which even cryonics may not be able to help, as the
brain may be destroyed long before the body stops functioning.

Bexarotene is a straw of hope where currently there is none.  I can imagine
the black market for this stuff has gone open loop, and I don't see why not:
the dopers somehow get whatever it is they poke into themselves without
anyone prescribing that damn junk.  So why can't the rest of us do whatever
it is they do?  Doctors, hand over the medications and stand back, we buy
the risk, and good luck to us.