[ExI] SF - cyberspace and utopian narratives for meatless bodies

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 06:43:37 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM,  Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:

> On 02/10/2012 11:39 AM, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
>>
>> Can someone suggest five well-known science fiction authors and their
>> book titles that speculate on cyberspace as an alternative environment
>> for leaving the flesh/meat body behind?  You don't have to like, agree
>> with or support the narratives, and they don't have to be
>> transhumanist in scope.
>
> Please share this list when you collect it.  I would love to read more
> stories like that.  The only ones that spring immediately to mind are:
>
> Permutation City  (Egan)
> Accelerando  (Stross) (parts of it)

Go here:  http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/fiction/accelerando/accelerando-intro.html

Download the RTF version and search for "FieldCircus."

You actually need to read the whole thing to get the context, but if
you have, this will get you to the right place to appreciate perhaps
the best book to date on the Singularity.

The world Stross places this novel in is right out of the late 80s,
early 90s Extropian mailing list, when M Brains and computronium were
brand new ideas.  An exchange between Hans Moravec and me (reviving
authors through their works) becomes a plot element toward the end of
the novel.

"The Clinic Seed" also explores the uploaded world, in this case a
tiny African village is uploaded.

Per my recent posting, I no longer think it's practical to surround a
star with computronium (speed of light problems).  Instead population
centers will probably shrink to sizes in the few hundred meter range
and sunk the the deep oceans for cooling.

I really don't see any way out of this.  Being smart is a prime goal
for transhumanists.  Everyone wants to be smarter than average.  A
substantial part of being smart is being able to think faster.  This
leads to a runaway situation where we rapidly run into distance being
time.  We hardly notice telephone communication delays unless they are
going through satellites.  But speed us up a million fold and the
maximum delay is (20,000 km/300,000 km/s) or 1/15 s.  At a million to
one speed up, that would impose a subjective round trip delay of a day
and a half from one side of the earth to the other.  Subjective round
trip delay to the moon would be a month.

Maybe this isn't important.  People went around the earth when it took years.

Keith