[ExI] good bexarotene article

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Feb 11 18:41:49 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of Jeff Davis

>...Best outcome:  an effective off-label (ie non-FDA "owned") Alzheimer's
therapy that becomes the champion example for patients' rights.   Best, Jeff
Davis

Ja well said.  Yesterday we made some calls, learned that it is generally OK
for a GP to prescribe off-label at the doctor's discretion.  We have a
message in to our family member's doctor asking if she is willing to
prescribe bexarotene off-label, or do we need to go find a doctor who will.

The next thing we need is to calculate or estimate the dosage.  For a first
shot, I am trying to find out what dose they gave the mice, then scale it up
linearly.  Would you estimate a mouse is about 50 to 60 grams?  So whatever
the mice received, scale it up by a factor of about 1000?

The medications which contain bexarotene supply the information of the
concentration of the active ingredient, so it will be an easy calculation.

Open to suggestion here.  The topic is temporarily open season, so your
suggestion is free and welcome.