[ExI] SF - cyberspace and utopian narratives for meatless bodies

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:10:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM,  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

snip

> Power dissipation will be a much higher limit in practice.
>
>> centers will probably shrink to sizes in the few hundred meter range
>> and sunk the the deep oceans for cooling.
>
> The cosmic microwave heatsink is the largest and coldest heatsink
> known to man. Anything in-between will only be an obstacle.

This is a subject (space radiators) I know about.

If you have a small object that is dissipating a lot of heat,
radiation won't keep it cool nearly as well as a flow of cold water.

Poul Anderson wrote a story, Satan's World, long ago where the value
of planetary heat sinks was the main story element.

The huge radiation area of a planet is just about free.

On the number of Transhumanists, there was a list on Wikipedia that
had around 100 on it.  I found a list (that includes me, but leaves
out many prominent transhumanists) of 24.  My estimate is that the
number of people who identify as transhumanists is within a factor of
5 either way of the number of people signed up for cryonics.  Since
there are about 2000 people signed up for cryonics that would put
transhumanists at 400-10,000 people.

Keith