[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 07:35:28 UTC 2012

2012/2/18 spike <spike66 at att.net>:

>...the lack of signal causes me to
> conclude the promise of bexarotene was
> apparently a mirage.

I'm inclined that way as well.  Yet there are some problems with that logic.

If indeed the CWRU results provoked many individuals to obtain
bexarotene last week and administer it off-label -- and fail to
achieve any positive result -- then wouldn't there be a negative
announcement?  Wouldn't someone, of the many you are supposing
**must** have tried this and gotten the "fail" result, wouldn't one of
these persons have reported it?

Also, wouldn't the whole thing be a monster human interest news story?
 Shouldn't various ambitious journalists be crawling all over it?
where are they?   Win or lose -- cure or fail -- this seems to me like
a really big mass media news story.  Yet I hear/see only silence.

Otherwise the headlines should be screaming out: "Thousands despair at
failure of  Alzheimer's cure".

(Actually, today's Google search shows major media has noticed, but no
sooner than ten days ago.)

If the media is just catching on, then I'd say it's still too early
for your negative conclusion.

Frankly, I'd still go with the plan: get some, and administer the
safe-for-skin-cancer dose. Get some genuine first-person "in vivo"
data.  Then get back to me.  Enough with the guessing.

Best, Jeff Davis

    "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                                Ray Charles