[ExI] Social justice and transhumanist

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Feb 20 10:30:19 UTC 2012

On 20/02/2012 02:31, Giovanni Santostasi wrote:
> Too many transhumanist embrace capitalistic ideals. I think we should
> be associated with social justice and equity. I think these would
> bring the singularity faster than unchecked capitalism and liberalism.
> Here a nice article on how the Scandinavians overcame the 1 % :

HAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, but as a Swede I find this article hilarious. So that
is how the American left sees us :-)

The article forgets that many historians think Sweden was very close to
going in the direction of fascism or communism in the early 20th century.

The problem in learning from Scandinavia is that these societies are
small (Sweden's entire population could fit into New York City) and
culturally homogeneous. It is not hard to be consensus oriented if
everybody more or less believes the same thing and social distances are
by necessity are small. Sure, some of these ideas are sensible, like
unions that work with the employers because they realise they have
mostly shared interests. But the Scandinavian model does not scale well
to big and diverse societies, since the consensus-seeking is not
possible or efficient enough.

It is notable that the current Swedish political export since the 90s is
clever liberalisation: how to deregulate markets, school choice (even
including for-profit schools), handling bank crises lightly and how to
run welfare states on market principles.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute