[ExI] Social justice and transhumanist

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Mon Feb 20 11:05:29 UTC 2012

On 20/02/2012 02:31, Giovanni Santostasi wrote:
> Too many transhumanist embrace capitalistic ideals. I think we should
> be associated with social justice and equity. I think these would
> bring the singularity faster than unchecked capitalism and liberalism.

First, it is not obvious that we *should* want to bring the singularity
faster. As some of us have argued, it might be so risky that the
responsible thing is to slow down. From an individual standpoint early
singularities might be good for *us* individually, since we are all
fairly affluent neophiles who (if anybody survives) will likely benefit.
But that is not a great ethical argument for going ahead. And if you
worry about inequality, radical economic growth might actually be a very
bad thing since it might amplify inequalities enormously.

Second, social justice and equity does not obviously produce rapid
technological growth. Plots of Gini coefficient vs. economic growth
doesn't show a strong link in developed countries and a fairly mild
correlation in developing countries
http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/stats-on-human-rights/statistics-on-gross-domestic-product-correlations/#16

It might be more important to urbanize people, since this has big
economies of scale on technology and income. Or just bringing  up the
GDP, since this has strong effect on the patents per capita
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0101-41612010000200003&script=sci_arttext
There are plenty of feedbacks here of course - one reason a country get
rich is lots of patents and tech, and the wealth pays of more education
and research. This is also an argument *against* equalizing things,
since this kind of clustering effects can produce much more total tech
growth than a more equal distribution of where R&D happens.

Third: If you want to argue for social justice, do it because there is
something good about the justice itself. Arguing that it could be an
instrumental tool for getting other things means that if we find a
better tool we will just abandon justice. Arguing that we have a moral
duty, that equality makes a nicer world, or that it somehow follows from
transhumanist principles - that is a much stronger line of argument if
you want to change transhumanism.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute