[ExI] human hibernation?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Feb 21 14:49:06 UTC 2012

On 21/02/2012 04:32, spike wrote:

> What do you make of this?
>
> http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/20/swedish-man-survives-two-months-in-sub-zero-temperatures-by-hibernating-in-car/

 From Swedish news, it looks like he left home last summer after his
business went bad and went up north. At least during the autumn he
occasionally popped by a village to buy junk food. My guess is he
suffered from some form of fugue state, either a fullblown dissociative
amnesia, or just an attempt to escape a social situation he could not
handle.

Not sure about the metabolism question. If you semi-starve and do not
move much, I would imagine you burn very few calories. The lowered body
temperature in caloric restriction might really reduce energy demands.
But I suspect the man had some calorie reserves in the car.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute