[ExI] Zen19 is now at 5-dan in Go

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Feb 24 17:11:55 UTC 2012

… On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl

 <http://blog.printf.net/articles/2012/02/23/computers-are-very-good-at-the-game-of-go> http://blog.printf.net/articles/2012/02/23/computers-are-very-good-at-the-game-of-go

>…Computers are very good at the game of Go…for all we know this exact version of Zen19 could end up becoming World Champion if a few more orders of magnitude of CPU time were made available to it.  Which would feel like a shame, because I was really looking forward to seeing us figure out how brains work.

Chess software has given me a similar disappointment over the years.  The software has surpassed all human player, yet is surprisingly unsophisticated.  It relies mostly on speed.  A cell phone won a strong tournament in 2009, with several masters and two grandmasters.

>…1: I think this is probably why I've never been interested in puzzles like Sudoku; I can't escape the feeling of "I could write a Perl script that does this for me". If I wouldn't put up with such manual labor in my work life, why should I put up with it for fun?

Ja.  A few years ago, I wrote an excel script which solves sudokus.  It can take a couple days to solve one.  I am not arguing that it is an efficient algorithm.  {8^D  I would argue however that the act of writing those kinds of scripts is good for the brain.