[ExI] Zen19 is now at 5-dan in Go

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 19:19:22 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>... On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
>
>>> So, I've enjoyed this feeling of technological superiority to
>> computers as much as anyone, and it hurts me a little to say this, but
>> here I go: the idea that computers are bad at Go is not remotely true
>> anymore. Computers are excellent at Go now.
>
>>...Arrrgh!!!! Soon, they will be good at programming too, I fear! :-)...
> -Kelly
>
> Arrrgh?  As soon as computers can write software, the singularity occurs.

Well, yes, and where does that leave us? :-)  As we both well know,
that is a very complicated question. I for one am not quite ready for
the Singularity yet. Give me just a few more years of kind of normal
first please. :-)  Even Go is still a game with very strict rules,
nowhere near as complex as real life, but much more complex than chess
(in the ways that computers approach problems anyway.)

As to your point of what can be emulated by brute force, I think that
it is highly likely that our own brains are employing some sort of
brute force algorithm themselves... :-) It just doesn't "feel" that
way from the inside. An awful lot of computation happens in the
subconscious... many millions of times the processing power that is
accessible in a conscious fashion.

-Kelly