[ExI] Ignorant fear mongering (was Re: Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil))

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 21:53:22 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Oh puhleez. Do you really think that what I am saying is motivated by fear? What I am saying is that *civilization* is at risk. Most of you will probably more or less survive the collapse of civilization. (2/3 would be a reasonable survival rate for collapse). The point is not that you should fear for your life, but that you would have to live with the shame of having dropped the ball on your turn on the court of life. Your opportunity to be the generation of mann, yea wifmen and wermen both, to bring about the singularity. All that is really at stake is a few hundred to thousands of years back at the drawing board. So mu to "ignorant fear-mongering".

> Soon humanity will be expanding beyond the Terran gravity well.  Then
> this fear-mongering will be seen for the emotion- and ambition-driven
> manipulation that it is.  Fifty years tops.  Till then primordial
> hydrocarbons and nukes will do us just fine.

Soon compared to the singularity that was the emergence of life? Soon compared to the singularity that was the emergence of multicellular life? Soon compared to the singularity that was the emergence of eusocial intelligence? Then yes.

> Stop being manipulated by the fear-mongering and celebrate the awesome
> wonderfullness of life.  Notice, but don't obsess over, things outside
> yourself.  Focus on your own prosperity, build something for yourself,
> and don't be diverted by scary stories that emotionally manipulate you
> into serving the interests of others,...at your expense.

Very good advice. Allow me to translate for the liberals that might be reading:

"Don't fall for advertising, just be happy that you get a workable product, preferably locally made by people with a rough genetic simularity to you. Focus on your running the rat race in your hamster wheel so long as you have a job and can afford a hamster wheel. Notice, but don't complain about the clumsily-hid machinations of the powerful, while they tax you and give your money to the privileged elite around the world. Be thankful they have not loosed their dogs upon you for sleeping in their parks."

Sheesh Jeff and Brent, I expected *more* faith from you two.

Stuart LaForge

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." -Thucydides.