[ExI] Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil)

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 22:25:02 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

You don't consider the deaths of 1/3 of humanity a holocaust? Why? Do you mistakenly think that the 1/3 will be brown people half a world away?

>> If the oil companys' ace-in-the-hole isn't already online or
> deployable in a week or less, then it is time to get a shotgun.
>
> If that is your answer, go ahead and shoot them - and starve.

I did not advocate shooting anyone, let alone oil companies. How do you shoot a company anyway? I am saying that if you don't get a shotgun or similar you might someday find yourself at the mercy of someone who does have one. Sorry I am not pussy pacifist.

> We transhumanists, on the other hand, prefer instead to fix
> the problem.  Get those aces online or rapidly deployable.
> Shooting people who - whatever their motivations - can be
> coopted into helping make this happen, rarely helps and
> often hurts this objective.
>
> You appear to be engaged in disasterbation: believing that
> the world is so terrible and doomed and there's nothing
> you can do about it.  That can be a powerful emotional
> release, because it absolves you of all responsibility and
> culpability if bad things happen.

Huh? Nah consider it to be niche-marketing my new product.

> Unfortunately, it is also fallacious.  While it is true that no
> one of us can solve the entire energy crisis on our own, it
> is also the case that, if enough of us work to solve it, it
> will get solved.  What you can do, and should do, is help
> make the better future happen.  On the other hand, getting
> mad and preaching about inevitable doomsday just makes
> people give up - starting with yourself.
> Yes, that *does* mean you're partially responsible if the
> worst happens, if you've spent most of your energy on
> this convincing yourself otherwise.

How have I given up? I am holding a sale. For a limited time only, I will sell you two of these babies, for mere $1.0 billion USD rated at 1 MW each. That's enough to power a major hospital or two suburban neighborhoods so that you personally never get caught with your pants down. So don't try to paint ME as part of the problem, Adrian.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20090294576

Stuart LaForge

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools." -Thucydides.