[ExI] Ignorant fear mongering (was Re: Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil))

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 12:07:49 UTC 2012

On 25 February 2012 22:09, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The energy "problem" we face -- not the bogus end times scare fantasy
> -- is basically one of price.  We've had so much for so long and so
> cheap, that being wasteful has become SOP.  When you see wastefulness
> for what it is, the  solution becomes obvious.  Stop being wasteful.
> Really, it's just that simple.

I started it all by posting a link to an article in the Register, which was
immediately commented by Eugen by pointing to sources that on the contrary
illustrate how the peak oil prob would be real and quite immediate.

Much of the debate is factual, and I am inclined to reserve judgment on
that (albeit being generally quite wary of fear-mongering attitudes).

But what seems excessive to me is that some of use appear to deny *in
principle* and *at any time* the risk of ending up in energetic (economic,
evolutionary, etc.) dead ends, where selection for immediate returns would
actively prevent us from making the investments or the detours necessary to
get out of our predicament(s).

This reminds me of faith in the Providence (or avatars thereof, such as the
Invisible Hand) and is quite symmetrical to the millenial idea that Doom is
impending unless we see the Errors of Our Ways, Atone and Expiate.

--
Stefano Vaj