[ExI] Ignorant fear mongering (was Re: Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil))

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 17:42:23 UTC 2012

2012/2/26 spike wrote:
> Secondly, we could build low speed lanes to the far right of existing roads
> which are specifically restricted to sub-500 kg class vehicles which cannot
> keep up with Mister V8 and present a danger to their drivers, if required to
> share a lane.  That lane can be restricted to a 50 kph, and shared by human
> powered vehicles and such.

Errrr, shouldn't that be to the far *left*?  We have them in the UK
already. They are called cycle lanes.

Also because your single-seat electric mini cars are definitely a
*leftish* conception. The far right likes V12 twin-turbo vehicles,
surely?  ;)

More seriously, James pointed out the reasons for the failure of
private investment in alternative energy. At present they will just
lose their money. This project needs long-term investment. Private
investment likes quick(ish) profits. China makes very long-term
investments, knowing that they won't really pay off until the next
generation.

Besides, under the present system, 'freeing up private capital' will
just mean that the banks and corporations will take it all and use it
to buy another luxury island hideaway.

BillK