[ExI] Transhumanist Apps

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 18:37:41 UTC 2012

Aww, wish you'd been out here last month.  VLAB just hosted a
panel on wearable tech, back in January, that touched on quite
a bit of this.  And in October, they hosted an Augmented Reality
panel - fortunately, there's video of that if you want:
http://www.vlab.org/article.html?aid=430

The key takeaway from the January event was that, at the
moment, wearable tech is as much - if not more - about fashion
than function.  Yes, a smart watch has a "glance" UI that no other
platform has.  But as far as peoples' willingness to use them (which
is the chief limit on their utility to most people), they are more about
- and more constrained by - what the wearer thinks the impression
on others is, than on what the wearer can do with it.  Similar
constraints apply to non-smart-watch wearable tech, unless it is
completely hidden within clothing (which limits what it can do).

In other words, "wearer looks cool (or at least less uncool) while
using it" is as much of a market requirement as, say, "device has
enough battery life" or "device reliably performs its function".

That said, I have - in my notes from the January event - a list of
companies you can look up that are active in this space:

Allerta, Inc / InPulse watches
Basis
Casio
Eurotech Group