[ExI] Ignorant fear mongering (was Re: Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil))

Mirco Romanato painlord2k at libero.it
Mon Feb 27 14:58:05 UTC 2012

Il 26/02/2012 13:07, Stefano Vaj ha scritto:
> On 25 February 2012 22:09, Jeff Davis <jrd1415 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jrd1415 at gmail.com>> wrote:

> But what seems excessive to me is that some of use appear to deny *in
> principle* and *at any time* the risk of ending up in energetic
> (economic, evolutionary, etc.) dead ends, where selection for immediate
> returns would actively prevent us from making the investments or the
> detours necessary to get out of our predicament(s).

> This reminds me of faith in the Providence (or avatars thereof, such as
> the Invisible Hand) and is quite symmetrical to the millenial idea that
> Doom is impending unless we see the Errors of Our Ways, Atone and Expiate.

The trust in free markets and free competition is not like faith in
government or gods. The trust in free market is based on the assumption
that people do what they think good for themselves and, without
violence, they can not damage others.

Market work "as there is" an Invisible Hand managing them. There is no
Invisible Hand, but from naive external observers it could appear so.

The faith of people in Visible Hands from the governments appear much
more delusional than the trust in a not existent Invisible Hand.

For example, the faith of Italian people in the government is completely
delusional as it never was able to show a balanced budget in the last
fifty years (and more). Maybe they think now it is different, now they
will do it right.
We are so screwed but we are not alone. The US and all Europe is
screwed, Japan is screwed. It will be much worse in other places like
Syria and Iran or Egypt.

Do transhumanist will fall for the fallacies of central planners like
the monkeys of the past or not?

There will be a great purchasing power transfer, a great wealth
transfer, in the future (it is already happening now). Do transhumanists
will lose or will profit from this opportunity?

Mirco