[ExI] Jaw-dropping CWRU Alzheimer's breakthrough?

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon Feb 27 16:08:47 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike

.  If I devour 10 mg of reagent grade bexarotene, I am getting at most a
tenth of a milligram of impurities, less than one six-hundreth the mass of a
typical grain of table salt.spike

Ooops, take that comment with a huge grain of salt.  I Wolframed "mass of a
typical grain of sodium chloride" and got back 64 mg, wrote it and went
along my merry way without thinking for a second, Wait, that would be one
hell of a salt grain.  I would believe 64 micrograms, although I think it is
more like about a tenth of a mg to perhaps half a milligram, somewhere in
that range.  It occurred to me in the shower half an hour later that I had
made about a two orders of magnitude error, damn.

This is the problem, the internet makes smart people smarter and dumb people
dumber.  This time it made me dumber.  {8-[

Most of the time it goes the other way.

{8^D