[ExI] coming this fall, lab grown meat

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 28 23:32:15 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Grigg
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:12 PM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] coming this fall, lab grown meat

But what about lab-grown fish meat for sushi?

You have hit on something important here John.  We all know low quality
meat, something like you find on pizza, and high quality, something like you
might get at a really good restaurant, all the way up to the top of the
scale, sushi quality fish, so good you don't want to spoil it with heat.
But what nature hands us is as good as it gets.  What if. we create
something in the lab which is better than sushi?

>. And hydroponics for the vegies??

What if we can create better veggies than anything we get in the store?
Better yet, some means of creating them at home, so the produce is fresher
than that which the produce market can get to us.

>. Now that will be a day for happy transhumanists to go out to dinner at a
properly equipped restaurant!

Oh my, now THAT will be a party.

  Anders can sate himself without guilt (but did he ever actually feel
guilty? lol)...  John  ; )

As we all can.  Let's hope this works out.  Realize it takes a while to get
this right.  John the older ones among us remember the days before microwave
ovens, and when those started becoming common.  It took about ten years for
food vendors to really figure out what works well in microwaves and how to
provide that, in packages such that all of the sections cook uniformly for
instance.  I can easily extend this to lab-grown meat: the stuff isn't
particularly good at first, but it gets better, and those lucky ones born
today may never know when eating required us to slay beasts.