[ExI] Doomsday Oil Price: (was RIP: Peak Oil)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Feb 29 18:26:20 UTC 2012

Oil is not going to 1000x current value anytime soon.  It is likely to go past $200/bbl if Iran is attacked though.  Note that the US produces about half of all the oil it uses.     But no, we can't bring alternatives online that quickly.  It takes years, about 10, just to bring a new refinery online.  How long you think it would take to bring enough plants online to provide alternate IC fuels including the retooling of pipelines, tanker trucks, and delivery systems that might be needed for some of those fuels?   It would take even longer to phase out IC engines complete in favor of electrics, if we find the energy and get the grid in shape to supply the load and handle all those hopefully fast charging units.

- samantha