[ExI] AI milestones

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Feb 29 20:35:59 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] AI milestones

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>... Surgical robot watches operation, performs heart swap in 38 seconds
between patient and screaming doctor.

>...still too slow.  I won't be satisfied until the machine can do the job
without skipping a beat.

Ja sure, but think through the consequences: learning surgical robot watches
heart transplant, watches gender reassignment, unfriendly AI comes along,
infects robot, switches us all just to be a ro-bastard.  Imagine the chaos.

This was an interesting bit in Anders' list, robot kills human:

http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2010/01/0125robot-kills-worker/

It isn't really all that clear, since the notion of a robot is a bit fuzzy.
In a sense, a heat seeking missile is a robot after it is fired, and it sure
as all hell kills people, or tries to, or rather does what it is programmed
to do.  Industrial equipment has had automated controls for a long time.
Nearly a century ago we had automated continuous miners and coal drilling
equipment, which would occasionally spark a coal dust explosion which killed
plenty of guys.  Autopilots are robots in a sense, and they have been known
to fail, killing planeloads of proles.  You can probably think of examples
that predated 1979.