[ExI] Taxonomy of Human Enhancement

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Mon Jan 9 01:09:12 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I have been looking through numerous texts for links, but I don't see where
someone actually defines human enhancement - well, "someone" meaning early
adapters. There are lots of texts about human enhancement, and some with
definitions (as if newly arrived at), but nothing that is worth referencing.
Human performance enhancement has been present in the military -DARPA, IBM
communities for a while now, and the Olympics refer to performance
enhancement as well.  Could these be the domains human enhancement developed
in?  Of was it in science fiction, where most of our terms originated? Or
medicine? Alternatively, human augmentation has been around for a while -
since cybernetics, and is more aligned with the cyborg and wearables.  But
"human enhancement" is about enhancing, not necessarily augmenting (although
the terms have been used interchangeably).

If anyone knows where human enhancement, as a phrase that refers to life
extension, elevating the human condition, and uploading, please let me know!

Many thanks,
Natasha

 <http://www.natasha.cc/> Natasha Vita-More
PhD Researcher, Univ. of Plymouth, UK