[ExI] super soldier ants

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 23:28:06 UTC 2012

On 2012/1/9 spike wrote:
> Here’s what I did.  I know that ants will devour earthworms, at least under
> some special conditions.  I am not sure I understand those conditions.  But
> I did find a slug this morning and put it next to the ants.  They didn’t
> seem to even notice it was there.  They made no attempt to devour the
> sluggish beast.  During that experiment I observed that I was mistaken about
> the slug being protected by a goo layer.  It isn’t.  There is some other
> mechanism at play here.

Well, I'm not an ant expert, but generally speaking ants will eat most
anything. But I think only a few species will attack other insects or
small animals. Most ants prefer plants, sugar or dead creatures.

I think you probably need something like army ants or fire ants.
But there are obvious problems in working with those species.   ;)

BillK