[ExI] Eden, deep memes, exodus from the Ape God

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 20:48:42 UTC 2012

2012/1/16 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> On 16 January 2012 08:55, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This raises another interesting point, namely the fact that the maximum
> diversity lies at the point of origin, since each segment is of course made
> by the further branching of a single streak.

Absolutely, in fact two of the three Domains (above Kingdom in In
biological taxonomy) are known ONLY as single celled creatures.
(Archaea, Bacteria and Eukarya.)

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life
Will this Arsenic based life be a new Domain or a new Kingdom?
Probably too early to tell. Maybe it depends on how the Arsenic is
substituted for Phosphorus. Or perhaps on whether we find more things
like this. The question is whether this pushes back LUCA or is a later
anomoly or a separate root. All very interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_%28biology%29

> This is also true at a human level, where the maximum linguistic and genetic
> differences are still within the African perimeter, the rest of humankind
> being just the offspring of a very small group of individuals (so that
> everything that was not represented there got lost).

No argument there. Although I believe technically that there may have
been more than one exodus from Africa. In fact, if you look at the
mitochondrial DNA evidence, Homo Erectus left Africa and became
extinct outside of Africa, though not necessarily inside of Africa. In
other words, Java man is clearly NOT a human ancestor, but an extinct
cousin. Whether we evolved from Homo Erectus individuals who stayed in
Africa is not known to me, though it may be known to someone by now.

-Kelly