[ExI] Taxonomy of Human Enhancement

John Tracy Cunningham johntc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:51:07 UTC 2012

I am almost certainly jumping the gun here.  I have done only a little
research and given the matter some thought.  It seems to me, at least
initially, that:

Therapy is, as previously stated, the return to normal range of a
capability in a particular human (I speak here of humans for ease of
reference, but I think this can be applied elsewhere).

Enhancement is the improvement of a capability in a particular human beyond
the individual's normal range, up to and including the best or highest
performance observed in the human species.

Extension is the improvement of a capability in a particular human beyond
the best or highest performance observed in the human species.

Augmentation is the addition of a capability to a particular human, which
that human did not previously possess.  There is the possibility of
extension after augmentation.

Am I somewhere in the ballpark?

Thanks and regards

John