[ExI] etextbooks

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 20 22:44:02 UTC 2012

The notion of eText books for elementary and secondary education gets us
around some very fundamental problems in education today.  We have economy
of scale if textbooks are published in enormous numbers, consequently the
huge retro market of Texas tends to drive science textbook publishers to
completely eliminate all mention of concepts as fundamental as evolution.
It is easy to just leave out a controversial concept than to have more than
one standard text, so Texas compels all of America to ignore the concept of
evolution.

Now if we have widespread use of eTexts, we can have parental control and
arbitrarily many versions of a textbook.  I can choose for my son a science
text that assures him that evolution is a fact.  The retros can choose a
text that doesn't have that in there:

http://singularityhub.com/2012/01/20/is-the-ipad-the-future-of-education-stu
dents-in-palm-beach-florida-find-out/?utm_source=The+Harvest+Is+Bountiful
<http://singularityhub.com/2012/01/20/is-the-ipad-the-future-of-education-st
udents-in-palm-beach-florida-find-out/?utm_source=The+Harvest+Is+Bountiful&u
tm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ce7422b598-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN>
&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ce7422b598-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN

At my son's kindergarten today, I began looking through the texts for grades
up through 4.  I found not one word anywhere about evolution, not a
syllable.  So sad.  This is our chance to break free from the iron grip of
Texas.