[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

natasha at natasha.cc natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Jan 20 23:32:07 UTC 2012

   What the heck is Hayles (How We Became Posthuman) talking about
when she says that posthumans are disembodied?  I had thought that she
meant that posthumans will forgo a body to be Moravecean robots.  That
transhumanists don't give a rat's behind about having any body, not
even a series of codes that might be interpreted as a platform or
system.  But when I look at the concept of embodiment it is most
definitely not Cartesian.  Does it mean that our bodies form us?  That
our minds are the product of the body?  Certainly this can't be --
unless one is more artistic and defends perceptions and sensorial
interpretations of the world far above other cognitive processes
performed by the brain.

   Embodiment is a big term in the area of human enhancement.  Can
someone unpack it for me and give me a clear understanding of just
what it is?  Where did it originate?  Psychology or philosophy?

   Thanks, I am indebted to your cleverness, as I certainly don't have
any on this.

   Natasha