[ExI] Perception of time was Wrestling with Embodiment

Stephen Van Sickle sjv2006 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 17:46:24 UTC 2012

If you want to stay connected to the mainstream culture, and if that
> culture accelerates substantially faster than what can be supported by
> a human brain, you will be forced to give up slow bodies/brains and
> move into a simulation.
>
> This has awful consequences with respect to humans even spreading out
> in the solar system, much less trying to go interstellar.

Only if, as you say, "you want to stay connected to the mainstream
culture".  If not, then I don't see any problem maintaining whatever
clock-rate is best suited to your travel plans.  Through history, leaving
behind everyone you know and losing connection with your culture has been
the norm for the very small minority who leave home.  But a very small
minority is all that is needed to spread across the galaxy.

--sjv