[ExI] Perception of time was Wrestling with Embodiment

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 09:32:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 8:02 AM, Eugen Leitl  wrote:
> We're not in anybody's smart light cone. Galaxy has nothing to
> do with it.

Irrelevant. We don't need to be in anyone's light cone.  The age of
the galaxy means that the whole galaxy should already have been swept
many times over by waves of expanding species.

> Relativistic travel is easy, so any expansion will become
> relativistic after a few hops latest by way of self-selection
> of front organisms.

Agreed. So where are they?  We are a very young species compared to
the age of the galaxy.

Either we are are the first in the galaxy, or after relativistic
travel becomes possible for some reason civs don't expand.

BillK